Pages

Monday, November 21, 2016

A Month Later

Yes, I have been gone for the longest stretch ever.🕐

One week was just the general blahs with some stressors that zapped me of interest in blogging  - 
then a week of prep for a trip to NY - 
then a week in NY without internet - 
then a week of recuperating from the cold I brought home from NY.

And now we are in the throws of the holidays.
It is not hard to be thinking of food this week.

Wednesday will be a day of prepping and cooking.
Since being in NC, we have done two different things for Thanksgiving.
2-3 times we went out to eat - Ryan's Buffet, Denny's ...
A couple of times, we were sick ...
we most often spend the day with our church family.

This year it looks like a party of about 18 with some additional drop-ins after family celebrations.

Wednesday will find me preparing the turkey, baking squash, preparing sweet potato casserole (a request from one of the college students), making a cranberry salad, making a pumpkin roll, and trying a new recipe for an apple pie sweetened only with apple juice concentrate.  The other half of the meal will be prepared by our pastor's wife.  I will also be making a lasagna to feed the college students before church Wednesday night.

My go-to turkey recipe will be used again.
It produces a moist and flavorful bird and has yet to fail me.

The turkey is 24 lbs this year.
My mom introduced me to cooking bags which I still use -
easy, faster cook time, no basting.
I stuff my bird with lemons, onions, garlic and bunches of thyme.
I also coat the outside with butter, lemon juice, and thyme.

I bake per the instructions on the oven bag and follow by making some gravy out of the drippings.

I hope you enjoy your day with some holiday favorites.
Remember in the midst of it all to take care of your health.
Practice moderation and seek for ways to increase your veggie intake.





No comments:

Post a Comment