Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2023

Pretty, Private, and Practical

 As has been mentioned ...
I LOVE PLANTS!
But I have a small problem ...
because my lot is so small
and much of the "usable" space is an easement or setback,
it is hard to plant very much.

Earlier this year,
I discovered a "COLUMNAR" apple tree.
It does not grow wider than 2 feet.
Perfect for my small lot.
But again, I am not sure that I could even find a space for this little guy!



BUT ... he could be in a container!

So hubby built me some very large planters for the patio.
They will be home to the apple trees (pretty),
they will provide a sort of privacy fence from our backyard neighbors (privacy),
and they will produce fruit (practical) by the second year.


While probably not growing the "orchard" this year,
we hope next year to expand to patio blueberries and/or blackberries as well.
And hubby will again build some more planters - probably slightly shorter and not as deep.

Hubby made the planters on casters that lock so that we can move the planters depending on where we are sitting or which neighbors are outside at the same time we are.
We can also move the trees closer to the house when the Bowling Green crazy storms are threatening.

On this Thankful Thursday, I am thankful for hubby's efforts for me.
He has had a busy week of travel, but made sure to finish these before the trees shipped!

3 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea. I cannot wait to see your patio garden the next time we are down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you have any patio left???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too much ... But enough. Pictures coming soon. They are in place now.

      Delete