Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

The Happy Accident

 It appears that last week was the approved week to ship plants to Bowling Green, KY.
I am only waiting on some phlox that are supposed to arrive this coming Friday.
So last week, I spent working on the perennial bed.


I had a great time in a beautiful week digging, turning, planning, planting.
I even had the company of a crew working on the neighboring house one day.
Then we had a brief storm on Friday night.
As hubby and I watched the water running through the garden like a river and pooling in random spots,
we knew that if we didn't make a change,
the little plants would die.

So Saturday, he built me a dry creek - 
a sort of canal for the water to collect in.
I replanted and think that most, if not all, of the plants now have a chance.




What a blessing that we could fill the bottom with construction debris behind the house.
We could dispose of unwanted clay behind the house.
And our little garden has quite a bit of character ...
a happy accident.

a ready source of drainage rocks 

our pile of sod and clay

We spent the rest of the day learning more about "lawn farming."
Hubby aerated a small portion,
I removed some thatch,
and we patched some bare spots.
We just enjoyed a beautiful day together appreciating the blessing of our little home and its small piece of land.

No comments:

Post a Comment