Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Merry Heart

I am baking a batch of rolls right now for Thanksgiving dinner. I have done quite a few sweet breads as well tonight.  I love the warmth and the smells of fall baking.  Unfortunately the pear bread overflowed its pan and the burning batter did not smell so good.  We are still getting rid of the smoke.

Chapter 2 of Created to be His Helpmeet was on a merry heart.  The author believes that many marriages fall apart because the wife loses her joy.  There is no smile for the hard working husband, no playful interaction reminiscent of the times before the wedding ceremony, no approving or admiring smile that encourages the leader in the home.  I was convicted to consider my disposition each day - especially when that alarm clock goes off!

I looked at all of the times joy appeared in the Bible and came up with this summary.  Our joy comes from recogniziing who God is, recognizing His work, and recognizing the godly actions of fellow-believers.  Joy is not a result of circumstances, so nothing can take it from me.  Joy is a choice.  I choose how I will spend my day and how I will relate to my family. 

Next week ... a thankful spirit.

Proverbs 15:13
A merry heart
maketh a cheerful countenance:
but by sorrow of the heart
the spirit is broken.

1 comment:

  1. this is the most helpful book on marriage. this chapter and the one on thankfulness changed my life, and incidentally improved my health. :)

    ReplyDelete