Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Perspective II

Hebrews 13:5
Let your conversation be without covetousness;
and be content with such things as ye have:
for he hath said,
I will never leave thee,
nor forsake thee.

It seems that now that we are passed midterms, things are settling down a little.  The garden is finished, most of the papers are typed, the fall decorations are up ... now I can focus on Fall cleaning and doing some baking.  I made a pear pie yesterday and used up some bananas in bread earlier this week.  I was disappointed this week when I headed to Walmart on Monday to buy up Halloween Pumpkins that had been marked down.  I do this each year to fill my freezer with pumpkin puree for pies, breads, pancakes, muffins, and our new favorite - cheesecake.  They had no pumpkins left.  I can't believe that I will have to buy canned pumpkin this year.  I will keep checking on the off chance that one of my friends is decorating with a pumpkin but does not want to use it!  I am cleaning in the kitchen this week.  Today I am going to try to get some spots that look like spaghetti sauce off the ceiling.  I don't think that I put them there, so I am not sure that I will get them off.  I also want to SOS the hood on the stove.  Nasty jobs but it sure feels good when it is done.  I am quickly coming to the end of my liquid laundry detergent, so that will need to be made again soon.  OH!  and Harris Teeter is having triple coupons this week ... time to plan a trip (or trips) for some stock up!

So back to perspective. 

The last main chapter in Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit was not on spirit robbers, but on contentment, gratitude and a smile which will strengthen a spirit.  How different would our attitude be if we were more content, if we expressed our thanks, if we just chose to smile?  I take this back to my perspective.  As a former military wife, it baffles me when I hear a complaint that a spouse got home 1 hour late from work or had to work 6 days one week.  Perspective - there are those who just found out that after 7 months overseas, their deployment has been extended by a month or possibly indefinitely.  When I would want to be down over hubby's 6 month deployment, I would think of an army wife who face 12-18 months without the love of her life.  What about children?  As hubby and I wait for God's blessing of children in our life, I wonder how parents can complain about their precious gifts.  That unmade bed is another opportunity to teach, that questioning spirit is an opportunity to impart knowledge and Biblical truth, is it really the child that is "so bad" or just missed opportunities at training?  It is all about perspective.  Any situation can be turned around and some good seen in it.  So that is what I am working on ... contentment.  Wouldn't I like a new car? yet, hubby keeps are older car looking new and running well and there are those without reliable transportation.  Wouldn't I like steak each week? but, my waistline and heart are glad for more lean chicken and beans and we know of ministry families who have eaten tomatoes and rice for a month or more.  How about that new outfit? yet, my closets and drawers are already bursting with God's provisions. 

What about gratefulness?  I discovered in September that I was enjoying violin lessons immensely.  Of course, I enjoy the musicality and the knowledge of new things, but I also realized that I enjoyed hearing that I was doing a good job.  Pride?  maybe a hint.  But also a truth - people want to know that what they are doing is good and is appreciated.  I am trying to do better at letting others now that I appreciate them.

A smile.  Enough said.

I Timothy 6:8
And having food and raiment
let us be therewith content.

1 comment:

  1. : ) i was meditating on the passage in hebrews early this morning. thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete