Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Derailed ... but getting back on track

Please tell me that I am not the only one ...
one who can be easily derailed from my plans and goals.
It can happen with schedules, with diets, with exercise plans.

I think that it started with a strange sore throat/sinus mess
 that has hit me 3 times in 4 months.
It is easy to get discouraged in sickness.
It is hard to just bounce back after 3-4 days of blah.
Then there was an enjoyable trip to NY - 
more change of schedule.
And we got to enjoy our niece for a week -
another change of pace.
In this time, I also agreed to paint at church.
At this point it is almost done ...
only two storage rooms and the sanctuary.
I love the work, but it is another change.

Friday, I took some time to reevaluate ... to get back on track ... to recommit.
I have kept up on reading and really have been challenged by some of the books I have read.
We have kept up with entertaining once a month and have even been invited to others' homes.
The Isaiah book is close to completion (at least the actual writing)
so we start editing soon.
But the Hebrew lessons have suffered.
I am excited to recommit to them.

This past month I have been encouraged to develop a skill that I enjoy,
to not be content to be stagnant.
I guess it comes from being around folks who are more advanced at it than I am.
I have started a church based music theory course to further develop my piano playing (and my piano teaching).
For years, I have avoided theory, probably afraid of failing.
It is the reason I did not pursue a music minor in college!
Some of our college kids have challenged me to go to the school to take it,
but, I always made excuses.
Not this time,
The course will teach theory, modulations, playing softly, arranging, transposing, playing congregation music, analyzing music ...
It will be a commitment,
but oh how useful it will be wherever God has us.


No comments:

Post a Comment