Pages

Monday, July 30, 2018

Up To The Challenge

Over the past few years, we have pulled back from dairy foods more and more.
We have enjoyed almond/coconut milk and coconut based ice cream,
but the stronghold, the fortress, has been cheese.
Really, cheese is so good ... and is an easy source of calories and protein.

Recently, we have tried to give up the cheese ...

So suddenly the Mexican dishes which are a staple in a gluten-free home
are a little less appetizing (though they still appear frequently.)
Pizza?  Without Cheese?
I really don't enjoy cream-based dishes made with almond milk most of the time.

So, how would I meet the challenge?
Some things just haven't been duplicated.
Sorry, you can't make a grilled cheese with pumpkin filling (I tried).

But I have stumbled on some finds ...
I made parmesan out of nutritional yeast and raw cashews.
It worked on our pizza.

I came across a dairy-free southern favorite the other day ...
Biscuits and gravy!

We love biscuits and gravy,
but hadn't had it in awhile.
This gravy recipe had sausage,
gluten free flour,
and, ...
Wait for it ...
CAULIFLOWER.

I groaned too,
but I was SO curious.
Hubby was not surprised at my wonderment and was even game to try it
(after cauliflower ziti last week)
Sausage is a pretty strong flavor.
Could it overpower the cauliflower?

My curiosity bested me.
Friday night was the night for biscuits and gravy ...

SUCCESS!

Yes, the house had the awful cooked cauliflower smell
(An hour after with a strawberry lemonade candle burning and that was fixed),
but when blended with water and a little nutritional yeast, salt and pepper,
it was really quite good.

And now you have chalked me up as a kook instead of a cook,
but you just have to roll with it.
And a happy hubby, with a happy belly
is worth more than the acceptance of my readers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment