Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Taste the Rainbow

There are some people who can forget about eating.
Some folks don't feel hungry in the morning.
Some folks can get so busy that they forget to have lunch.
Not in our house ...

I just put another batch of Peach Blueberry muffins in the oven.
They complement a breakfast smoothie,
can be a healthy mid-afternoon snack,
or provide a breakfast on the go.

To me, food is a comfort,
it is social.
I suppose that is normal in our society.
I am trying to enjoy it more for its value to my life and health.
What is my food doing for me?

So while one of my siblings is assuming that my blog post today is about Skittles,
I am referring to a challenge to "Eat the Rainbow."
Each color in our food provides different vitamins and minerals.
We do not eat all of the colors every day,
but we definitely try to throughout the week.


Yesterday was a travel day,
so I didn't do too well on my colors.
I got red - strawberries (on my peanut butter sandwich) and an apple
orange - pumpkin in my gingerbread muffins
green - peas in my soup (they weren't in the recipe - but they were so good)
white - onion and potato in my soup

Today I did much better
red - strawberries (smoothie), red pepper (casserole), tomato (on casserole), raspberries (just a snack)
orange - orange juice in smoothie (whole fruit would be better)
yellow - lemon (drink at lunch), ginger (drink at lunch)
green - spinach (drink at lunch), green pepper (sauteed on hummus sandwich), zucchini (casserole)
avocado (on casserole)
blue - blueberries (smoothie)
purple - onion (sauteed on hummus sandwich)
white - onion (casserole)


So here is how I got them today:

Morning smoothie
1/2 c oj
1/2 c almond milk
3 oz tofu
1/3 c oatmeal
1 scoop coconut protein
1 cup blend of blueberries and strawberries


Lemon drink (for 2)
1 1/2 c water
a handful or two of spinach
1 lemon peeled
a squirt of honey
a squirt of ginger (I buy my ginger pureed in tubes)


Hummus Veggie Sandwich
toast
spread with hummus, any flavor
peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil sprinkled with italian seasoning and garlic salt




Are you up for the challenge?
Give it a try.
Let me know what colors you got today.
You can even give me a challenge of your own -
or wait for another challenge next week.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment