Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2022

Thanksgiving, Stewardship, and the Goodwill Dilemma

II Samuel 24:24  
And the king said unto Araunah, 
"Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: 
neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the Lord my God of that which doth cost me nothing. 
So David bought the threshingfloor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.


There is not a day that goes by that I do not look around and thank God for my home.
This is not really a new concept - I have always seen our homes as a gift.
God has always provided the right place at the right time in miraculous ways.
I have always been thankful for a place to practice homemaking ...
places to practice new skills...
places to adapt and change ...
from the one-bedroom apartment of a newlywed,
to a two-bedroom apartment on the Pacific Coast,
to a single-wide trailer for college families,
to another single-wide trailer right next door,
to a two-bedroom duplex in a town near enough to care for family,
to my own home ...
But ...
I have noticed as I clean and tidy and organize
that the "new" home inspires a greater desire to do a good job.
Again, it wasn't that I never cleaned my home or put my all into it,
but it seems that because this home cost more than a "pretty penny,"
I value it more.
We tend to value that which has a greater cost to us.
Have you noticed this as prices rise?
Do you think before you just hop in the car?
Do you contemplate before sticking the "non-essential" in the grocery cart?
Is it worth it?
David recognized this when it came time to offer sacrifices.
He wanted his sacrifice to have weight and value.
As I cleaned one morning,
I was ashamed that I don't see all of God's gifts as items of great value.
All His gifts deserve proper stewardship and care.

Thus the Goodwill Dilemma ...
... and a challenge to me and a word to the wise.
I love Goodwill when I have the time to search for great finds.
(Of course, some stores are nicer than others.)
It is fun to find the styles of yesterday on sale today.
It is fun to find "deals" on skirts, dresses, shirts, home decor, and housewares.
And yet, I have also observed the lack of care and stewardship that sometimes comes with the bargain purchase.
I have noticed families that purchase "bargains" so that there is no hardship when the children make a mess or when the children are rough with the purchase.
While I agree with that idea in theory, and there are definitely seasons where this makes sense, and it does help to provide training times for children with less stress,
in practice, the "bargain" also often causes the parent to fail to teach the value of clothing, toys, or furniture.
Because it costs next to nothing, the children can throw it, rip it, jump on it, or leave it in the yard.
And why is this a problem?
Because the children (or I for that matter) may not learn good principles of stewardship.
We do not learn how to care for what God has provided.
We may not see the difference between the "bargain" item and the item at another person's house that might have cost quite a bit more.

Good stewardship of the funds God provides may involve shopping at Goodwill or yard sales,
but it also involves taking care of the bargains that God sends our way through these means.


No comments:

Post a Comment