Pages

Friday, November 18, 2022

Simple Pictures are Best

 For the past 7 weeks,
I have had much time to think.
Some of my work has been postponed,
while other work just takes so long that I can do a lot of thinking.

My thinking this week has had me thinking about a childhood book,
"Simple Pictures are Best."
It is a fun story of a couple who are celebrating their anniversary with a commemorative picture.
As they "sit" for the picture, they think of all of the things that they want in the picture.
Nothing can be left out.
The photographer keeps reiterating, "simple pictures are best."
In the end, as the apprentice tries to get the couple to smile,
the bull gets out and actually ends up the only thing in the picture.

My prideful self wants to stress about the upcoming holidays.
My prideful self wants to create the "perfect" day.
My prideful self wants to fill the day with things I may not be able to do right now.
My prideful self wants to worry.

But don't you think "simple holidays are best?"
Maybe there is some boxed food.
Maybe you don't make every side dish you planned.
Maybe there are some paper plates.
Maybe the pizza delivery man is called on.
Maybe you are packed in like sardines.

Perhaps you are stressing about the holidays.
It's not about the food.
It's not about the venue.
It's not about the decorations.
It's about the heart of the day.
It's about friends/family and thankfulness to God for all that He has provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment