Pages

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Lifestyle Medicine

 Many times, hubby and I are asked why we eat as we do,
why we walk as much as we do,
why our life is rigidly structured

After a time away,
I am reminded that sometimes a healthy lifestyle is the best medicine.
Medicine is sometimes necessary,
but there are many health struggles that are helped by routine, diet, and exercise.

It is hard to be away from my kitchen and exercise habits.
Following our NY trip, I was tired, stiff, anxious, and moody.
I was so glad to get home to the things that make me feel great.

I am glad to be back to my comfy bed and restful room.
I am glad to be back to the couch where I do my morning Bible reading.
I am glad to be back to a schedule where I can make time for walking, running, or strength training.
I am glad to be back to my Vitamix to make nutrient-packed smoothies.
I am glad to be back to a refrigerator full of dark greens and veggies.

And what smoothie did I make first?

This has become a regular for breakfast.

3/4 c Greek yogurt (plain, no added sugar)
3/4 c orange juice
3/4 c frozen strawberries
1/3 c rolled oats
1 scoop coconut protein powder (again no sugar)

And then for lunch ...


and 

a green drink

1 c water
1/2 lemon
1 or 2 handfuls of spinach
a squirt or two of pureed ginger
honey to taste


I am feeling much better today after being back to some "lifestyle medicine."

No comments:

Post a Comment