Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Good to be Back!

Oh, it is so nice to be back online.  The phone line problem was relatively simple.  It seems that when we had the siding on our trailer fixed, the workman crushed our phone line and caused all kinds of static.  For those of you are no longer using the "dinosaur" dial-up ... excessive static leads to constant disconnections from the internet and EXTREMELY slow surfing (yes, dial up can get slower).  I am so thankful that my husband has the know-how to take care of some of these things for us.

So hopefully I can be back to blogging.  It is Monday and time for a recipe.  Two Saturdays ago, I wanted to make some treats while hubby was writing his large research paper (which is almost ready for its first submission).  I asked what he would like.  His first response was ... something you can share with me.  You see, I have been "Chocolate Free" for about 2 months now.  Doing pretty well with that, but greatly limits the desserts that I can share with him.  Anyway - I dug out the bakiing cookbooks and he added ... lets have something with a taste of fall ... nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon ...  YUM!  I chose some "Soft Spice Bars" and they were a BIG hit.  It seems that once I covered them with some icing, they became "Ginger Cremes" a recipe I had been looking for since we married 7 years ago because they were one of hubby's favorites growing up.  This recipe is great with some coffee or with a cup of Vanilla Chai or some "Gingersnappish" tea.

SOFT SPICE BARS

3/4 c. butter, melted
1 c plus 2 TBS sugar, divided
1/4 c molasses
1 egg
2 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cloves

In large mixing bowl, combine butter, 1 c of sugar and molasses.
Beat in egg until smoot.
Combine flour, soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves;
stir into the molasses mixture.

Spread into a greased 15 in x 10 in x 1 in baking pan.
Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake at 375* for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool on wire rack.
Cut into bars.

These taste like gingersnaps, but are soft.  I love the recipe because they go together very quickly - no chilling, no rolling, no dropping ...  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment