Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Watching the Scale

Well it is that time of year that is very difficult for me and also the time of year that encouraged me to become more healthy.  Yes, it is the season when the busy schedule can crowd out exercise and the gatherings with all their goodies can really disturb my weight.  I know it is that time because I woke up on Friday morning, hopped on the scale ... and there was that number!  Yes, I have a number (about 5 lbs above my desired weight) and if I reach or exceed it, then I omit treats for awhile, redouble my efforts in exercise, and start cooking with more thought to calories and fiber.  It all started about a year after I got married.  Within 15 months of that exciting day, I had gained 20 lbs.  This was not going to bode well for me since I plan to be married a LONG time.  With hubby's support, I found a regimented eating plan that taught me how to eat sensibly and helped me to lose 35-40 lbs in about 2 years.  Not only did I lose the weight, but I also have less back and joint trouble.

Hubby has helped me realize in that time, that my gluttony (yes, I call it what it is) is a sin.  I do not drink or smoke because my body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, ... but will I wear it down by taxing my bones and my internal organs with excess weight and junk food with no nutritional value?  I am to be a good steward of the finances God gives me.  So will I squander my money on medical bills incurred because I did not take care of my body?  I am so thankful that I was exhorted in this area before the habits were even more difficult to break.  I am glad hubby loved me enough to encourage me and to stand by me in my quest to become more healthy.

In light of the season and the struggles that I will face particularly in the next month, I quickly searched for my "light" recipes again.  I chose a Pinto Bean Stew for dinner on Saturday night.  Hubby wasn't so sure when I mentioned Pinto Beans, so I called it Mexican Soup!  The stew took a lot of cooking time, but the manual labor was slight.  It was warm and hearty and very good with a simple wheat roll or wheat crackers.  If you are not needing light options, you could also serve with a topping of cheese and a side of tortilla chips, or add a little ground meat.

Pinto Bean Stew

1 c dried pitno beans
2 c cold water
1/2 c chopped carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne pepper
1 pack (16 oz) frozen corn, thawed
1 large onion, chopped
1 mediumm green pepper, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2-3 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar

Place the beans in a alarge saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in.  Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until softened.

Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.  Return beans to the pan; add cold water, carrot, garlic, chili powder, salt, and cayenne.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until beans are almost tender.

In a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the corn, onion, and green pepper until tender. (I deemed this step optional and just through them in the pot.)  Add to the bean mixture.  Cover and cook for 45 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar.  Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.

Yield 6 - 1 cup servings (1 cup = 214 cal)

I Corinthians 6:19-20
What? know ye not that your body is
the temple of the Holy Ghost,
which is in you, which ye have of God,
and ye are not your own?
For ye are bought with a price:
therefore glorify God in your body,
and in your spirit, which are God's.

1 comment: