Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

More fun with pumpkins

     It is another beautiful morning.  The house is still cool, but the sun will soon warm the trailer.  Hubby said that he would work on my flower box, so I will be planting bulbs this afternoon and will probably weed near him while he is working.  I was so excited that his schedule has freed up to allow him to do this.  He also wants to set up an archery target in the back yard, so I may have another activity to practice each day.  I have a long way to go to become as proficient as hubby's family.  I must agree with them that there is something fascinating about traditional sports and so I hope to get better with my "welcome to the family gift" - a small, traditional bow of my own made by my father-in-law.

     A friend of mine gave me a HUGE pumpkin on Friday.  I could only fit half of it in my oven at a time.  I did get it baked up and it produced the equivalent of 10 cans of pumpkin.  OOH!  Yummy!  I only had to promise that I would make pumpkin cheesecake bars for Thanksgiving dinner :)  So once again, I am in pumpkin mode and thought that I would share my FAVORITE pumpkin bread recipe.  It is very sweet, so I don't make it for general snacking, but I will often "gift" it or make it for guests.  It is very moist (due to the pudding) and it keeps well (I often mailed it to the ship for Chris and his coworkers) - I think it took about 2 months to reach him once and it was still good (at least to sailors who had been eating in a mess and hadn't had a port call in a while). 

Delicious Pumpkin Bread
(yes, that really is the recipe name)

5 eggs
1 1/4 cup oil
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
2 c flour
2 c sugar
2 packages (3 oz each) cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Beat eggs.  Add oil and pumpkin, beat until smooth.  Combine remaining ingredients, gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.  Pour batter into 5 greased 5 x2 1/2 x 2 loaf pans.  Bake at 325* for 50-55 min or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on wire racks.  (May also be baked in 2 greased 8 x 4 x 2 loaf pans for 75-80 min)

1 comment: