Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

A Week of Thanks

Usually I post a recipe on Monday, but my one adventuresome recipe this week was a flop.  It was a vegetable split pea soup.  Some of you are saying, of course that was a flop because the thought of a thick green soup turns your stomach.  I really like regular split pea soup, since hubby introduced me to it about 7 years ago.  I really missed the ham in the experimental recipe this week.

There will be a lot of cooking this week,without a lot of experimentation.  It is a week of tradition.  I do have a few new sweet breads that I am going to try and may pass along one of those recipes next week.  This week I want to be thankful.

I am thankful that God is true, that He does not lie, that His plan works.  I left church last night with a new thought about where God might lead us.  You see, right now hubby is studying to be a pastor, but without children we see ourselves Biblically as unqualified for that position.  Many would disagree with that and we won't argue about it, but it is the Bible as we see it right now.  Anyway, an opportunity that looked like something that hubby would be suited for was presented.  When I mentioned it on the way home, he was floored.  You see, it would involve a sacrifice that he was not sure that I would ever be willing to make, so he never even approached the subject.  Anyway, he woke up this morning in a very good mood and we both thought it might be related to the fact that there was a "reason" to go to school this morning.  I have often heard that a wife is a thermostat in the home and this morning I saw how my response affected my home.

Since I usually put a recipe here, I will also say that I am thankful for God's provision of food.  My cupboards are full and my freezer is full.  God uses so many ways to meet our daily needs.  My parents brought us food from NY, fellow gardeners have shared of their abundance, we learned to garden, friends and neighbors have shown us where to find good deals, internet resources show us how to use sales and coupons to get good deals, God has taught us to be content with what is provided (don't be picky), and we are learning to say no to the flesh when we are not really hungry.

Psalm 37:25
I have been young, and now am old;
yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken,
nor his seed begging bread.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...you have piqued my curiosity...if I may ask, does this 'opportunity' have something to do with the kind of thing Bro. Norris does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad! i was wondering because we would see the requirements for the pastorate as you have described. but God is good, and God-given limitations become open doors of opportunities.

    may God abundantly bless you both, and may the "sacrifice" be all joy to you.

    ReplyDelete