Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I am a GIFT!

There are no clothes blowing out on the line this morning.  It is a "drippy" morning, but a warm soy bead burner is filling the trailer with the scent of Hazelnut.  I have a warm maple milk beside me and the Bradford Pear trees outside seem a little brighter against the gray clouds.  I am not much for the rain, but I have been refreshed by the past few days of Sunshine.

I am not sure what "woman's work" I will do today.  I finished weeding the walkway and the garden, but the driveway is far from finished.  That will not happen today.  We did get trees trimmed yesterday.  Hubby requested a pumpkin pie, so that will help warm the house later today.  We went to Hobby Lobby last night so I could buy supplies for making Christmas cards - I could do that this afternoon.  I am excited that I have an idea, material, and time this year - BEFORE Thanksgiving!  I love making Christmas cards but usually stress myself in the weeks right before Christmas.  I also have a crocheted dishcloth to finish up and today might be perfect for that as well.

I am more excited about my study of Created to Be His Helpmeet.  Chapter one is entitled "God's Gift."  I was first challenged by the word "help meet."  It is one word in the Hebrew and only refers to the wife in Genesis 2:18,20.  I am to help, protect, aid, succour my husband.  What surprised me is that this same word is used about God throughout the Bible - particularly in the book of Psalms (ex. Ps. 121 - I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help).  I am to help my husband as God helps me.  Wow!  That is some standard of excellence!

I was also challenged by Proverbs 12:4 "A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband:..."  A crown is an ornament or a sign of power.  How can I do this?  I came up with a list based on the traits of the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31.  A crowning wife has mental vigor, is pious, is active in the service of her family, is strong and willing to work, is full of moral goodness, is prudent, supports and keeps up her husband's authority, is ingenious, is useful, is industrious, is submissive, is faithful, is trustworthy, is resolute - firm and steady, teaches her children submission, desires to know her husband better, is wise, is gracious, is modest, cares for her husband, is grave, is discreet, is busy, and builds up her husband's reputation.  Just a little overwhelming, isn't it?

I was created for my husband.  I Cor. 11:8-9 "...neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man."  I am his helper.  I was blessed by an article by Mrs. Camp, the wife of one of hubby's professors,  this week.  It was about the responsibilities of a ministry wife and applies to all wives.  So often we are overwhelmed by what is "expected" of us, but we need to step back and see that our first priority is the care of our husbands, children, homes and then extra service.  If my home is not in order, my husband's ministry will fail or he will be disqualified from his service.

Lofty goals today ...
     ...but if you aim at nothing, you are bound to hit it. 
               Aim High!

No comments:

Post a Comment