Pages

Monday, March 12, 2018

Experimenting

While the recipe is not an experiment ...
it is a tried a true recipe.
I am experimenting with entertaining on Sundays.
I often rue that I didn't spend the extra money for a time bake oven,
but, no use crying over woulda, coulda scenarios.

On Sunday,
I tried this tried and true.
I prepared it on Saturday.
I popped it in the fridge.
Then on Sunday as I went out the door,
I put it cold in the oven covered in aluminum foil at 200*.
When I arrived home 4 hours later,
I just uncovered it bumped it up to 350 for about 10 minutes
to get it piping hot and to brown the topping.
It worked!

Ham and Potato Casserole

2 c cubed potatoes
1 sliced carrot
2 chopped celery ribs
3 c water
2 c cubed fully cooked ham
2 tsp finely chopped onion (I use onion powder often in white sauce)
7 TBSP butter (divided)
3 TBSP flour
1 1/2 c milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 c (4 oz) shredded cheddar
1/2 c soft bread crumbs


Bring veggies to boil in water.  
Reduce heat, cover, cook about 15 minutes. 
Drain.

Optional:
Saute ham and onion in 3 TBSP butter.

Add ham to vegetable mixture.
Transfer to greased 1 1/2 qt baking dish.

In saucepan, melt remaining 4 TBSP butter.
Stir in flour until smooth.
Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper.
Bring to boil, cook and stir until thickened.
Reduce heat, add cheese and stir until melted.

Pour sauce over ham mixture.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered, at 375* for 25 - 30 min or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment