Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thankful for Joy

III John 4
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

No, I am not assuming that I bring my parents joy (though I certainly seek to).  It has been a hard week as the "maternity ward" (my hubby's name for our trailer park) continues to expand - I have a count of 5 pregnant women out of 19 households within view from any side of my trailer.  While I am honestly excited for them and the miracle of birth, it is difficult to watch the expanding bellies.  It is hard to be an "outsider."  But did I not refer to the "way of escape" on Tuesday.  In the middle of the hard times, God sends an encouragement ... some joy. 

While I do not have children of my own, I seek to pour my life into the children of others - hopefully supporting the parents.  As a kindergarten teacher, I did not see many results because of my student's young age.  As a piano teacher, sometimes I see good results when parents encourage practice, and sometimes I am frustrated by the apathy of both parent and student.  Teaching the pre-teen and teen girls at church has been challenging and rewarding.  They are at the age where they are establishing routines and beliefs for themselves.  Recently one of my Sunday School students came to me.  I had been encouraging her to have a quiet time every day and to get to bed before midnight every night even though it is summer vacation.  She came to me Sunday and said that she had done it - 7 days of devos and 7 nights of reasonable bedtimes.  Not only that, but she called on Saturday morning and asked for a ride to visitation!  And then, as if that wasn't enough ... she had taken initiative to go above and beyond her chores to do something more for her mother!  No, she is not my child ... but she sure brought me a lot of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment