Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Best Schooling

I have been through nearly 18 years of schooling as a student and then 6 years as a teacher.  I value structured, organized education.  I appreciate book learning and instruction.  However, I do believe that the best lessons come throughout life as we are placed in various situations.  I am so thankful for those lessons that are learned in the "nitty-gritty" of life.

This week I was "in school" learning things that I never learned in the classroom.  The primary lesson was a continuation of the lesson that I started "studying" while I lay flat on my back about a month ago, unable to move because of a strain in my neck.  The lesson stems from the fact that I am a prideful, independent person.  It was hard to let even my dear husband meet my needs even though he wanted to and was sufficient for the task.  In my independence, it is easy to rob people of the opportunity to be a blessing to me and my family.  It is easy, in prideful independence, to forge my own way, to fail to ask for help, to unfairly expect other's to read my mind.  It is easy to see this in others, but hard to acknowledge it in my own life.  It is a hard balance between "using" others and letting God use the gifts, abilities, and resources of others to meet my needs, but one that must be learned. 

I am thankful that God is not letting me forget this lesson.  I am sure that I will be reviewing it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment