Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Why I Love Classical Music and the Old Hymns

I think that I had a very blessed childhood.  As a private music lesson teacher today, I watch parents scrimp and save to pay for music lessons for their children.  I see them make difficult choices.  While I see this, I think of the YEARS of piano, organ, and flute lessons that I was given by my parents.  I think of the careful vocal training I received at church.  I think of the years that my teachers poured into me.  My teachers exposed me to a vast array of music, but primarily classical and sacred pieces.  My favorite by far are the combination of Sacred Classical pieces like the Messiah and many of Beethoven's sacred pieces (Jesu' Joy of Man's Desiring).  Maybe some would call me "snooty," but I love the exactness of classical music and old hymns.  There are rules to be learned, followed, and obeyed. 

Why?  Why classical and sacred?  I had not thought much about it until arriving in NC.  I was quickly made aware that my upbringing was rare here when hubby began choosing hymns and our church joked about his "high-church" music and when another instrumentalist suggested that his music choices were not "rousing" enough, especially on Sunday nights.  "High-church" - A Mighty Fortress is our God, Come thou Fount of Every Blessing, O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus ...  Beautiful pieces that focus on God and His attributes, that remind me of the worm that I am outside of Christ.  I was excited when last night at church we had favorites night and the hymns chosen were Holy, Holy, Holy and Be Thou My Vision and Crown Him with Many Crowns.

I love the 4 part harmony of old hymns where each part seems to move on each word.  I love the deep doctrine that is not politically correct.  I love that it is "work" to learn because there is no vain repetition of words, phrases, or notes.  I love the strict timing and predictability of tones that is easy to sing as a congregation (if you have ever tried to follow the written music of a CCM piece that you have never heard, you understand what I mean).  I love the soothing nature of classics and hymns. 

I am discouraged by the trend of "gospel" music around me.  Don't stop reading!  By "gospel," I mean the sliding, swaying, straining, non-precise music that is common nationwide.  It has many labels - CCM, southern gospel, bluegrass.  Sometimes it is even labeled as good, conservative music on a church website.  It may have one poor trait or a combination of many.  Sliding to and from notes, emphasizing a driving bass line through the use of instruments, echoing phrases in vain repetition, or focusing on lyrics that make me feel good.  It tends to make me look at the performer and not God.  It tends to mimic the world and the culture.  Its performers may look no different than those that you see in Hollywood.  The traits of this music seem to me to show a lack of care, order, and effort toward excellence; it exudes a "come-as-you-are" and "stay-as-you-are" feel; it shows an improper view of my sin nature or simply ignores it; it doesn't seem to support the God that the songs are singing about (holy, careful, orderly).

I hate to hear music in the church that sounds like it is sung by a Country Music star in Nashville.   I am saddened that there are young children being trained to think that it is OK to sing, slide, and sway like an "American Idol" in church or anywhere for that matter.  I am grieved that this seems to be part of the formula for building mega churches.  I am grieved that churches want to mix the sound of the world with the message of the gospel to attract or keep members/attenders.  Call me peculiar (that's what God wants me to be anyway), but God removed that from my life about 9 years ago and when I hear it in a church it is a stumbling block to me.  Those songs are addicting and tough to remove from the mind.  The church may "clean" them up a bit, but all I hear is the music of my past.  I listened to 80's pop/rock in Jr. High and then traded that in for CCM thinking I could keep the sound I craved while pleasing God.  While I thought that I was worshipping and serving God, I was really just feeding my flesh.  It was what my sin nature wanted.  I wanted to have God and the world at the same time.  It doesn't work and it disobeys the following principles:

1 Peter 1:15-16
 But as he which hath called you is holy,
so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
 
1 Peter 2:9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood,
an holy nation, a peculiar people;
that ye should shew forth the praises
of him who hath called you out of darkness
into his marvellous light:

Am I separate and different from the world? 
Are you? 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post! You said it all just right. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete