Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Frugal with a Purpose

One of my favorite aspects of homemaking is the economic side.  I like the challenge of staying in a budget.  I like to crunch numbers.  I like to save.  I like to have extra to help others.  I like to see God use a little and make it a lot.  I have not always been so aware of this aspect of homemaking.  The novice wife of ten years ago would by steak whenever the mood struck, would plan vacations any time for any reason, would shop wherever she felt like it.  I read recently that the primary reason for saving money should be to give more and I heartily agree.  Recently hubby asked me to put this saying somewhere in our home to remind us to keep right priorities.


As I mentioned, I am still learning, but I feel that I made progress this morning.  I was going to mow the lawn, but the lawnmower appears to need some attention (I happen to live with a lawn mower mechanic - so I just have to bide my time).  As I thought of how to spend my morning, I looked at my new perennial garden.  In this little patch, I had planted a trumpet vine which was in great need of some support.  I was dreaming of the perfect trellis and of course it was available online in the $100-$200 range.  Not quite economical!  Hubby had planned to make something, but we did not have any scrap wood long enough, so he told me that he would buy some long 1x2's soon and work around them.  Oh, surely I could come up with something!  My uncreative self did come up with something.  I am surrounded by trees which afford many branches.  Out I went with my loppers and invented this rustic trellis for my vine.  I am looking forward to watching it fill in and perhaps spreading onto the deck (which is behind it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment