Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

A New Favorite



While searching for gluten-free recipes last week, I visited the Frugal Farmwife and found a recipe for homemade gluten-free OREOS.  Oreos have always been a favorite in this household and I just had to try them for hubby.  Saturday afforded the time and I made them while hubby was working at the fair.  He discovered them while I was working the fair for the next shift.  While he said that they were not quite an Oreo (though he could almost imagine them as such), he did say that they were his NEW FAVORITE!  I said I needed feedback for the blog ... the answer, "they are not like any other cookie, but they are my new favorite."  He also recommended that I try them with some mint filling (especially for Christmas).  I think he also liked that he could have double-, triple-, or even quadruple-stuffed cookies.  I have to admit that the filling was really good.  They would also be more "oreo-ish" if I had had the special dark cocoa called for in the recipe ... maybe next time!

Gluten-Free Copy Cat Oreos


Cookies:
1 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix
1 tsp guar or xanthan gum
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa (dark)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 large egg
Milk for thinning out if necessary

Filling:
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375º F and grease a couple of cookie sheets (I used parchment paper).
In a medium bowl, combine flour mix, gum, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Combine the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add egg to butter mixture.
Slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture, blending well with a spoon. If the dough is too thick, add a little milk. You want the dough to be thick enough to roll into balls, but it needs to be fairly sticky.
Roll your dough into small balls and place on cookie sheets (I used a cookie scoop and divided each ball). You might need to wet your hands to keep the dough from sticking to you.
Dip the bottom of a glass or cookie stamp in flour, and press the balls of dough flat. Keep dipping your glass in flour to keep the dough from sticking.
Bake for 9 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes in the pans, and then move to cooling racks.
Make the filling by combining shortening, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla.
When the cookies are cooled, swipe some filling on the bottom of a cookie with a butter knife, and place another cookie on top to make a sandwich.



The only change that I made was to use half unsalted butter and half coconut oil for the filling.
Sweet look of success!

4 comments:

  1. Emma and I have made these the "regular" way and to compensate for the lack of dark cocoa powder, used less sugar and traded some of the flour for more cocoa. They are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need the xanthan gum if there is some in your mix already?

    ReplyDelete