Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

Staying In!


The laundry is out this morning and will be dry in record time this morning.  The wind is very strong as we feel the minor effects of Hurricane Sandy.  The temperatures have dropped substantially and we are looking at day time highs in the 50's and nighttime lows near freezing this week.  It will be a good week to get things done in the house and that's ok because I did the yard and garden work late last week.  Because it looks like the garden my not be around much longer, we picked a "mess" of beans on Saturday and worked together to get them in the freezer. 


I baked my first, truly enjoyable gluten-free bread on Saturday.  It was soft.  It rose well.  It had great flavor (almost rye with onion).  I wish that I could say that I made it from scratch, but I used a Bob's Red Mill Whole grain Bread mix.  It was awesome for toasted cheese, with bean and potato soup, and as "Egg in a whole."  The loaf is all gone, but I have 3 more bags of that mix, along with 4 for white bread.  I found the mixes at my discount grocery for only $.99 per bag!  It inspires me to keep looking for a "from scratch" recipe that will be better - If Bob can do it?  Why not I? 

Already more than 1/2 gone by the time I got the camera.

My cooking has been rather experimental, but I did come up with a "winner" on Saturday morning.  I took my buckwheat pancake recipe and tweaked it for fall.  Instead of milk, I used my remaining pumpkin spice creamer and soy milk and then added diced apples.  Hubby thought that they were the best pancakes that he has ever had and that thrilled this little wife's heart.

For my readers along the eastern seaboard -
I pray for your safety and warmth today. 
Stay in if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment