Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

If That is Abuse, then I am Happy to be Abused!

I was recently reminded about our days in connection with the military.  I was reminded of the signage that would hang throughout the base about spousal abuse.  There was a long list of questions that would signal abuse (as the world sees it).  While I am saddened that there is a real problem with physical abuse in the world around us, the signs would make me laugh, because ... I guess I am an abused wife.  Why would one laugh about that?  Read on.
The questions included:
Does your spouse expect you to account for how you spend money?
Does your spouse want to know where you are and who you are with?
Does your spouse give input on your friends?

Last night at church we were reminded of the jealousy that God has for His people, the Israelites.  In Psalm 79:5, the Psalmist asks "How long, LORD? wilt thou be angry for ever? shall thy jealousy burn like fire?"  As I thought of this godly jealousy, I thought of the picture that God has given us in marriage.  Our earthly marriages are supposed to be a picture of God's relationship with the church ... and guess what?  He is jealous for His church as well.  He wants our wholehearted devotion, love, attention, time ...

On this Thankful Thursday, I am thankful for the jealousy of my husband.  I am thankful for his input in my life and his desire to be with me.  I am thankful that he cherishes God's picture of marriage and wants to portray that image to the world around us.  I am thankful that I can be jealous for him as well and that that is the way it is supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through a friend - I am enjoying your posts!
    Great reminder! It really is funny how the world views things in marriage, isn't it? :) I am glad I am an "abused" wife too! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet you, Kayla and I am glad that you are enjoying the posts here. Blogging is a great outlet for me and hopefully a way to encourage others to keep doing right or to encourage others to get on the right path.

      Delete