Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

A recurring theme - Thanksgiving

I was so thankful to be in God's house yesterday. 

It is such a blessing to meet with people of like faith and to be encouraged and challenged by the Word.  I sit in the teen Sunday School class which hubby teaches.  His lesson was on "Putting God's Holiness on an Ox Cart."  Of course, this comes from the story of David bringing the Ark back in a haphazard fashion.  ...But how often do I do that?  How often do I fail to prepare myself for church instead having my mind in a thousand different places or rushing in at the last minute because I failed to plan my morning properly?  How often do I mention God or His gifts flippantly?  How often do I fail to serve in church with the proper attitude - failing to give Him the glory for how He chooses to use me?  How often do I want to do what is right, but I want to do it my way?  As a wife, my "job" is defined by God.  I am a help meet, but how often do I want to twist that?  How often do I want someone (hubby) to serve me while meeting his own needs?  (By the way, he will often serve me out of his love for me, but I should not expect it or demand it)  How often do I blaspheme the Word of God by having a poor testimony before the world?

The morning service closely paralleled this in my mind.  We read I Thessalonians 5:1-3.  I am part of the crowd that will not see the tribulation, I know that the rapture could happen at any time ... but do my actions show it?  Do I want my life to be in chaos when Christ comes for me?  Do I want to be complaining about my service at home when I am caught up?  Would I put Christ, my devotions, my prayer life on hold if I truly saw each day as the day He might return?  Very convicting to me.

Last night, pastor talked about "I will" - determining to serve God and to do right, regardless of the cost.  He showed a few of the many "I will" statements of David in the book of Psalms.  I will rejoice, I will sing, I will be sorry,  I will bless the Lord at all times ...  I can determine to do right, to be joyful ...  I just have to determine and set my mind to it.  So today, I determine to be thankful, to be a virtuous women, to be teachable.

I was reminded again yesterday about the value of gratitude - a small recognition of another's service.  I was thanked twice for things that I saw as trivial, but how that motivates me to continue and to improve in my service.  I was also able to thank someone else for serving who said that it meant a lot and that he had only been thanked by one other person for that service during his months/years of service.  What a difference gratitude makes?  Wouldn't my church be a different place if everyone knew that their service was appreciated (pastor, nursery worker, cleaners, maintenance, faithful attenders, meal providers, advice givers, song leaders ...)?  Wouldn't my home have a different tone if every gift of time, service, love, or money was acknowledged with appreciation?  So I want to make a new habit - a habit of thanksgiving.  What a perfect season to work on it ... Thanksgiving, Christmas (the rememberance of God's unspeakable gift)!

1 comment:

  1. Tammie - you are one of those special people who remind me of the blessing of gratitude. Thank you for your friendship and your instruction. It was a short summer that we shared, but you are a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete