Pages

Monday, November 18, 2019

Thanksgiving Dinner on the Brain

Well, it is that time of year again.

Last year, I believe that I made a turkey early in the week
and then we had turkey soup on Thanksgiving Day.
The thinking was that I was free for any and all family/friend activities instead of being in the kitchen.

I missed the "tradition" of the day a little though,
so I am back to making a turkey this year.
I picked up my free turkey last Friday.
"Free" with $100 of groceries😀

I think that our menu will include:

Roasted Turkey and Gravy
Stuffing
Roasted Vegetables
Clean Green Bean Casserole or Sauteed Green Beans
Squash
Pumpkin Pie

The turkey can be prepped the day before and then stuck in the oven before the Traditional Turkey Trot.
(our run/walk on Thanksgiving morning to jumpstart the day)
The Stuffing is a fast stove-top type mix.
(This is not the most healthy option, but it is hard to find gluten-free stuffing except at Thanksgiving now that we are not near an Aldi and is my favorite part of the meal)
The roasted vegetables can be cut up and left in water overnight and then thrown in the oven as the turkey comes out.
The casserole can also be done the day before and stuck in the oven as the turkey comes out
or prepped in a smaller dish and stuck in the toaster oven.
Squash can be cooked and mashed ahead of time.
And the pumpkin pie is best chilled so another score for day-before prep.

And of course,
the nighttime will be snacky.
Turkey sandwiches
Tapenade on crackers
Leftover pumpkin pie

At the current time, the feast is only a party of 3,
but I am keeping my ear to the ground to hear if there is anyone who needs a home for the day.






No comments:

Post a Comment