Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

The Simple Life in 2 Requests

As the title and subtitle of this blog suggest,
my desire is to live a simple life.
I want to keep a quiet life.
I want to foster peace in my home.
I want to be able to hear God speaking.
I want to know His leading.
I want, as much as possible, to make wise decisions to promote health and wellness.

It is easy for the noise of this world to crowd into the home.
The politics of today get even Christians worked up, troubled, and worried.
A fast-paced life crowds out meaningful time to read, study, and memorize God's Word.
In America, our lives are often so "easy" that we lack true dependence on God.

When bowing before an Almighty God,
the requests could be numerous and great.
Nothing is too hard for God.
But the writer of Proverbs had just two requests.

Proverbs 30:7-8
Two things have I required of thee;
deny me them not before I die.
Remove far from me vanity and lies:
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with food convenient for me.

If I were to boil them down,
the simple life would
1.  avoid pride and lying
2. be content with what God provides

How many times do I complicate life with my pride or with a tangled web of lies?
I may fail to end a dispute because of selfish pride.
I may not be content with or acknowledge a ministry God has given because I feel I deserve something "greater."
I may fail to submit to authority because it goes against my pride.
I may lie which leads to another lie or the confusion of trying to remember what lies I had told.

I may also complicate my life in search of things.
God provides for my needs
and often for my wants.
If I would just be content in His provision,
I would save a lot of time, effort, and money
thereby keeping my life simpler.




No comments:

Post a Comment