Pages

Monday, January 20, 2020

When Life Hands You Lemons

While I don't really feel that life has handed me lemons,
there are weeks that are just hard to get through.
There are seasons when stress is difficult to avoid.
There are times when you question what you are doing,
where you are going,
what's going on?

I was just reading about the life of Joseph on Saturday morning.
It reminded me ...
Sometimes everything seems like a trial.
Sometimes things seem unfair. (Why was Joseph in prison?)
Sometimes you may feel (or are) forgotten.
Sometimes you are far from the familiar.  (Egypt instead of with his family)

But it is still God's plan for you ...
... and He can still bless it.

You just have to trust and to be faithful.

And when it seems like lemons ...
make lemon bread (or muffins)


Vegan Lemon Bread

Ingredients

2 cups flour (I used 1/2 gluten-free all-purpose and 1/2 oat flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar 
3/4 cup milk of choice
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used vanilla dairy-free yogurt)
1/4 cup oil (or sub applesauce for fat free)
1/4 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons (1 tbsp total)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Instructions

The recipe works with spelt, white, oat, or gf all-purpose flour.
It technically works with almond flour (and tastes delicious) but won’t rise or look pretty.
I prefer the oil version’s flavor and texture,
 but if you’re used to the texture of oil-free baked goods it’s fine to sub applesauce.

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease a 9×5 loaf pan.  Or prepare 12 muffin cups (my choice).
In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
Whisk liquid ingredients in a separate bowl, combine wet and dry, then stir until just evenly mixed.
Spread into the pan or muffin tin.
Bake 50-55 minutes, or until the loaf has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
or (25-30 minutes for muffins).


As a funny note for my nieces and nephews who follow the misadventures of their aunt in the kitchen ...
(remember the blueberry salmon cakes?)
When I made these the second time, I made it with all oat flour.
Wow!  They seemed a lot drier.
As the uncle looked at them, he said they did not look the same.
After a big bite, he uttered,
"I think you forgot something ... like sugar!"
Yes, I had forgotten the sugar.
And as I remade the recipe,
I had forgotten the milk too😊
But, in the process,
I discovered that they are still edible with just the sweetness of the vanilla yogurt.
So on another round, I will probably cut the sugar in half.
And they are very moist with 3/4 cup milk, so this might also be adjusted as you mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment