Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Keepin' Busy and Local Fare

Sorry - haven't been here for awhile - been keeping busy this month. We had our trailer repaired this month. The bottom of the siding was shredding and water was able to leak in and would be rotting the floors before long (if it had not already started). The landlord put a large trim strip along the bottom of the siding, caulked, and then REPAINTED! I was so excited about the paint job. The exterior of the trailer was kind of a disappointment when we arrived, but it looks SO much better now. We bargained for the extra paint by agreeing to paint the front corner where the garden resides. We finished all but about a 4' x 4' square which won't be noticable until the pole beans fade away. When we finish that, we can use the extra paint to paint our new shed and everything will match.

I have also just finished making a bridesmaid's dress. It was a big undertaking, but I enjoy the challenge. I couldn't dwell on it too long because I only had about 8 days to finish it when I received the pattern and fabric!

The garden is taking quite a bit of time now. It seems that the tomatoes have gone CRAZY! It is fun to pick each day and to make tomato sauce to enjoy through the winter. Chris loves to come home to the smell of Italian - though he wishes he could have more of it now!

So what is up with the local fare? Yesterday, Chris had a surprise day off. We hit some local farmer's markets and finally decided to try hot boiled peanuts - cajun style. I am hooked! They are great. Need to google some recipes because I am sure that they are not hard to make. That is a southern treat I can enjoy. Still haven't tried the livermush, but maybe I will get up the nerve soon. Have some October beans (aka horticulture beans or cranberry beans) to try soon thanks to a farm coworker. We also picked up some blueberry cider for our anniversary celebration. Chris wants to grill our entire meal - steak, tomatoes, corn, and texas toast! What about dessert? Well in our explores yesterday, we found a Bruster's Ice Cream! We had tried this decadent treat twice in Virginia and were thrilled to find one within striking distance (closer than Friendlys). I think I will have some cheesecake ice cream ... or a mocha with chocolate ... or ...

No comments:

Post a Comment