Pages

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Life is Short


I just got out my cards, stamps, stickers, ...
I do this weekly.
There is such joy in the action.
Who can I encourage this week?
Which card will arrive "just at the right time?"

But today, it is a little bittersweet.
I began sending weekly cards in early 2020.
It began when a friend in our church started cancer treatments.
I had no idea what to say, I didn't know her well at the time, 
so I sent her a card containing a verse each week.
Sometimes I commented on the verse, 
but often times it was just a verse.

She became a good friend as I helped her navigate a small part of what was going on.
We became friends as we cleaned her house, traveled to appointments, and navigated city streets.
We became friends as we enjoyed piano duets when she felt well.

Soon I added more people to my verse card list -
the sick, the shut-in, and those facing trials.
The list grows, and the list shrinks.
People get well,
and people reach the end of a trial.
For 3 and 1/2 years,
her card has been in the weekly stack.

This week has been a reminder that we are not promised a tomorrow.
I have one less card to write today.

My dear friend is whole,
is not in pain,
is not balancing appointments,
she is "home."

Just a reminder that life is short -
a reminder that God left us in His Word.

James 4:14
“Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment