Pages

Monday, March 4, 2024

A Public Service Announcement

 Usually, I research EVERYTHING.
It is easy enough to GOOGLE anything and everything,
but sometimes, I just figure that I will trust the experts.

Sometimes, you need to do your own research.

Because we have known so many people who needed blood transfusions,
hubby and I like to donate blood regularly.
Last year, we finally got into a rhythm and were donating almost as often as the Red Cross would let us - about every 8 weeks!
In 7 months, we gave 4 times.

I recently went to the doctor and discovered that I had some very odd blood work.
I had not recuperated from my last giving.
Though not anemic, I was super close
And my oxygen carriers were small and pale.
With a few clicks on the computer,
I found that it is actually recommended that men wait 12 weeks between donations,
and that women wait 16 weeks between donations.
OOPS!

So there is your public service announcement.
Unless you are one of the 1 in 300 who make extra iron,
you may want to ignore some of the Red Cross calls to schedule your donation and give yourself a little extra time to recover.
I know I sure will!

And yes, I am following my own blog advice on building Iron.
Plenty of green leafy veggies, lots of beans, "brown cows," and lots of fish and chicken!
And for awhile, I will make sure that my daily multivitamin has iron.





No comments:

Post a Comment