Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

The Eyes of Man

 "Hell and destruction are never full; 
so the eyes of man are never satisfied."
Proverbs 27:20

As a teacher, I often see this truth lived out in my students.
When the birthday bag comes out, so does the "green monster."
Instantly, many children are planning what they will pick for their birthday.
I hear often, "I wish I had."
"You could get me that for Christmas."

But while I may mask my discontent and desire for more,
I see it in my own life as well.
With a pending move in the new year comes thoughts of a new home,
a new town,
a new neighborhood.,
and dreams ... lots of dreams.
And sometimes the dreams get out of control.

This morning I read a little devotional that began with Proverbs 17:1

"Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith,
than a house full of sacrifices with strife."

And I felt the gentle reminder that while it was ok to look and plan,
while it is definitely good to pray specifically,
while it is good to know the needs,
...
but it is also good to recognize discontent and greed.

And I remember that God has always provided over and above.

No comments:

Post a Comment