Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Looking for Ministry

 It is not always easy.
It is not always comfortable.
But change is inevitable.
Sometimes the process is simple,
and sometimes the process takes more work.

Growing up, we were in one church for at least 10 years.
Since I was young at that church, I could just grow into ministries.
I never really had that displaced feeling.
I served in the nursery when all other teen girls did.
I cleaned when I was asked.
I became part of the music ministry as my lessons progressed.

Changing churches can create a large hole ...
a need for a place to serve ...
In our married life, we have been in 8 churches and will make a change again soon.
There is always the need to wait, a season without the usual service.
There is a need to let people get to know you.
There is a need to know the pastor's plan and direction.
There is a need to observe and learn how things are done.
Sometimes that pastor is burdened to find a place for everyone,
but sometimes that does not happen.

The wait to serve has often led me to unique ministries.
The "wait" created this blog.
The "wait" created a card ministry.
The "wait" has created children's choirs.
The "wait" has stretched us out of the "typical" in order to meet specific needs.
We are no party planners - but if fellowship seems to be the need,
then I guess God can use us in that role.

I have found in 7 of the 8 churches that playing the piano was a need I could fill fairly quickly.
In more than half of the churches, a teacher was a need.
At some churches, we were able to build (once a shed, once a retaining wall).
I have painted walls in at least 2 churches.
Of course, the cleaning ministry is USUALLY available.

But sometimes,
especially in small churches,
positions are held by long time members who are content in those roles
and the search is harder.
It is hard to change the way I serve.

Where do I fit in?
I know God wants me to minister?

I mentioned yesterday that we were working on the church Praise Service.
It is one way that we can help to focus a busy day often focused on food and football.
It is a way to look around and to hopefully let other people serve who haven't found their place.
It is a way to include more than the usual servants.
It is a way to focus our own hearts on Praise and Thanksgiving when there is so much "gloom" around us.

We are also working on another Christmas Eve Service - 
It was such an encouragement to folks last year with the most common comment being that it just helped to slow the holiday down to take a breath on Christmas Eve.
This service is fun because it involves decorating and the challenge that that brings.
Right now, we are experimenting with some ideas around the house to be able to light the service without the harsh overhead lights😊
So if you stop by, please excuse random Command strips on the wall, mason jars in various stages of decorating, stray glitter and snow, and LED candles!

All ministry is fun, but ministry that we can do as a couple is even more fun!
It encompasses our love of music, 
hubby's ability to teach, 
and a love of the holidays.
It allows us to minister.

Maybe you are still looking for your place.
Don't be afraid to look outside of the box.
There is always, always, someone who needs you and your gifts.

And maybe you have "your" place...
is there someone you can share with,
is there someone you can work with,
is there a way you can encourage someone else ...
and sometimes that is the hardest ministry - 
because it involves relinquishing control and my own desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment