Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Learning about Solar Power


Yes, I guess I have lived in the Puget Sound (read Seattle area) too long. I am not green - just learning the lingo. I have learned much in my four years here. Most prominent is the fact that I am solar powered. My life is much easier and I have much more energy when the sun is out. I have also learned new weather terms like "sun breaks" and "the mountains will be out today." This is definitely a unique place. I don't think we are the rainiest area, but we must have rain, or drizzle, or grey, or fog about 75% of the year. Today the sun came out and it gave me some thoughts on rain and sunshine.

The first thought was, "Am I shining the light?" The world is covered in the cloud cover and rain of sin. Do I give small, taunting SON breaks when I am in the world or am I giving the full SON that gives warmth, and life, and hope? I recently heard a message about Joseph in the house of Potiphar. Potiphar recognized the hand of Jehovah in Joseph's life. As a polytheist, Potiphar probably had not even heard of Jehovah. Joseph not only showed his faith in honest, hard work - but he verbalized it. Enough of just a silent testimony (ie a sun break), how about the direct witness (full sun)?

My second thought was that it is in the 8-9 grey months each year that I learn to appreciate the sun. I have lived places like Pensacola, FL where the sun is normal and expected. But here in WA, when the sun comes out, I know to go out and enjoy it while it is there. I have often called WA our "wilderness." We have struggled with deployments and the separations they bring, we have wandered looking for strong churches with strong preaching, and we have learned and possibly experience a disorder called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) caused by the lack of sunlight. It is through these times that we begin to appreciate the times we are together more than we are apart, the times when we are in a church that is preaching about our sin, and the times when our location is a little more sunny :)

I guess above all, I am thankful that in sunshine OR rain, in the Promised Land OR the wilderness, I have a God who is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment