Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

In Defense of a Day

 It's been another while,
Another season, I guess when life demanded more from me and did not allow for writing.
But, it seems for a time, that things are quiet and I am feeling a little more on top of things.
Of course, I am looking ahead to spring.
Each day, I look out looking for signs of growth,
looking for the greening of the grass.
There is a sign of life on all of the trees - cherry, serviceberry, and apples!
Last week, I even made a preemptive strike on any crabgrass that is thinking of joining my lawn.

But, back to the theme at hand.
Today is Valentine's Day.
I have always enjoyed it.
As I child, I enjoyed the school parties and treats.
As a teacher, I definitely enjoyed planning a Valentine's Day party for my students.
And ever since 2002, I have enjoyed a Valentine of my own.
I met hubby on February 10, 2002.
We talked for longer than a hello on Valentine's Eve (he quite disturbed the prelude at church).
And of course, any long-time reader knows that "Donut Day" is just around the corner (the anniversary of our first date - 2/17.)

I often hear that today is a pagan holiday.
I hear that it is a ripoff.
I hear it is a gimmick.
I hear much about the hype.

While it may be all these things,
it is also a day to express love.
Who doesn't want to know that they are loved and remembered?
It doesn't cost anything to say "I love you!"
It doesn't cost much to jot a note of appreciation.
We celebrate big in our home.
We decorate the house.
We send out Valentines to little people who are mostly taller than me now.
We don't always have big gifts or fancy dinners - 
but we honor the day and the love that God has shown us that we can in turn show to others.

Last week, hubby bought me a plant and a traditional helium balloon.


Yesterday, he invited me to lunch at the place of my choosing.


Today he took me to my new favorite restaurant in Bowling Green.
He took me a few weeks back for a Saturday breakfast.
The place is called "Cafe Kindness."
All of the smoothies are named after the fruit of the spirit.
We enjoyed healthy smoothies only sweetened by dates and/or bananas.
Today we enjoyed chicken salad toasts and "it's Greek to me" toasts.


And then we shared a Smoothie!

So while there may be some downfalls to the day.
The day may have a sordid history.
I think there is something sweet to sharing a special day now and again
and letting others know that you care for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment