Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Acceptance

For my first year of college, dinner was a required activity.  Not only was it required, but there was assigned seating.  Not only was there assigned seating, but each student received his/her plate already filled and there were no "seconds."  In the following years, the dining experienced became more relaxed with flexible eating times, freedom to choose dining companions, and even a choice of foods ... multiple foods at each meal.  I hated the procedure the first year, but ... I met a lot of other students that I might not have otherwise met and I did not gain the dreaded "Freshman 15."

Why have this memory today?  It has been brought to my attention how that I like to treat God's will as I treated my college dining experiences.  I want the buffet and not the "blue plate special."  I want MY WAY when sometimes MY WAY is not the best way.  God know the plans He has for me and they are the best plans.

After this was brought to my attention, another illustration emerged.  Life is similar to a scrabble game, we all draw pieces.  Sometimes the pieces are easy to use, sometimes the pieces are hard to use.  Each time we play we get different tiles and it is for us to use them to achieve the best score.  Life is a little like that.  We have different seasons of life.  Some are easy and it is easy to "score big" with a good attitude and proper response, other times we are in seasons where the letters do not seem to make sense ... but it is up to us to make the most of those tiles and a win is still possible it just may take more effort.

And then, another illustration ... Moses and the Israelites.  There they were coming out of Egypt.  Their path was not direct, it was not short, it was not easy.  God knew that they must be seasoned in order to be ready to clear the promised land of the heathen peoples there.

It is easy to question God when we see many of our college friends who struggle financially to make it through school - 4 years becomes 6 which may become 8 or longer.  It is easy to wonder why a pastor has to struggle because a church cannot pay him as they should.  It is easy to question God's plan when a missionary on deputation gets to 98% and then is stopped in their tracks before reaching the field.  It is easy to question God when various stop signs seem to line our path.  Doesn't God want more servants in the field?  Why so many road blocks?   It is His plan ... and His way is best.  Am I willing to use what is given me to learn, to grow, and for His glory.

Isaiah 55:8
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,
saith the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment