Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Right Thoughts

As hubby and I walked together on January 1st, we talked about our resolutions.  Spiritually, we both had the same thoughts ... to slow down and let God speak.  It is easy to get into the habit of "checking" off our Bible study, especially as we aim to read through the Bible each year.  This year, we are both slowing down to really hear from God and to learn more from what we are reading. 

My second prayer and desire for this year is to have right thoughts in every situation and that those thoughts will manifest themselves as right words and right actions.  This goal was intensified by the receipt of a new book for Christmas.  I am reading What Do I Know About My God? by Mardi Collier.  The emphasis of the book is to read the Bible with purpose.  As I finish each reading, I should be able to answer with "My God is ..."  The other emphasis in the book is to face every challenge and setback in life with the question, "What do I know about God?"  When I am disappointed in my situation, I need to remember that I know that my God is in control.  When I am tempted to discouragement by my looks, abilities, or talents, I need to remember that I know that my God is the Creator. 

This morning I was working on this verse for memorization.  It also goes along with "My God is in control."

Ecclesiastes 7:13
Consider the work of God:
for who can make that straight,
which he hath made crooked.

Though things may not look "right" to me,
God has designed the path that I am to walk,
and who am I to seek another path.

1 comment:

  1. i really enjoyed that book. thanks for taking the time to write.

    ReplyDelete