Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Relief

It is the first day of school in the Northeast.  Despite the fact that I taught in FL for 3 years and now live in the south where they start school in the last week of August, I still think of the first day of school as the first Wednesday after Labor Day.  I guess that Shelby, NC is celebrating in its own way for we are enjoying a cool, autumn day.  Oh, how I love the break from the hot summer temperatures.

I spent yesterday doing a little garden cleanup.  It is always bitter sweet.  It is nice to have a "clean" garden again, but I will miss the fresh produce from the garden.  The bean plants will afford a few more meals, but there will not be enough for canned beans this year.  The tomato plants are producing tiny tomatoes that I try to save before the bugs get them.  There may be a little hope to get a few green peppers.  Overall, it has been a sad year in the garden.

I also did some more baking yesterday.  I made some small chicken pot pies for when hubby might have to make his own meal (typically Monday nights if he is hungry before I get home from piano lessons) and then some more hot pockets.  I used a celery seed pie crust for the pockets and they seemed to turn out well.  Hubby will try those soon in his lunch box.

I wish that I had saved the baking for this cool day, but alas, there is plenty to occupy today.  Off I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment