Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Where were you?

Of course, much has been in the papers (and I am sure on TV) about the horrendous events that took place 10 years ago on September 11.  Those old enough to remember the day remember where they were when they heard of the first plane crash and have felt the change in America since that day.  I was teaching in upstate NY on that day.  The elementary supervisor stopped in to let me know what had happened.  The day continued with a strange tenseness as many students left early with their parents.  The full impact of the attacks did not hit until I saw the intense media coverage that evening.  My sweetheart was in school in South Carolina training to help run a nuclear powered submarine or carrier.  That day would change the course of our early married life.  Once deployments were more measured and predictable, but they no longer are.  Today I am thinking of those who are not on home soil today because they continue to fight in a war against terrorism and those who are home, but with a huge hole in their life because their serviceman is far from home.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,
that His justice cannot sleep forever."
~Thomas Jefferson~

1 comment: