Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Homemade Hot Pockets

I have recently read a few books on freezer cooking - making meals ahead of time to have in the freezer.  The math looked good (saving money and time by purchasing and preparing in bulk), but I really couldn't get excited about not having "fresh" food every night.  Last week, hubby came home from work with a request.  "Do you think that you could make hot pockets for my lunches?"  It seemed like an easy enough request and I was sure that if I googled it that I could come up with something.  Sure enough, I was not the first to pursue such an adventure.  I had the perfect filling for the first batch.   A church friend makes a marvelous Italian pork roast.  That recipe was easy and provided a perfect Sunday afternoon meal with plenty of leftovers for experimentation.  Throw a pork roast in the crock pot and add 1-2 Italian dressing packets (the powdered mix) with just a little water.  Cook on low overnight.  Shred in the morning and continue cooking on low until ready!  It is so good.

I took the dough recipe from sweethappylife.com and the assembly from chickensintheroad.com.  We were pleased with the outcome and the freezer now has a number of "fast" meals awaiting a busy day.

I added some cheese and some veggies to the Italian Pork.

These are ready for the oven.  I made these "hubby" size.
 I love how the dough is so forgiving.

All done.  I ended up with 10 pork pockets and
I filled 2 with ham cubes, cheddar, and broccoli.
I liked working with the bread dough, but hubby would like me to try some with more of a crust next time.  I think that I will take my crust recipe from heavenlyhomemakers.com.  I may assemble some tonight using extra filling from making a chicken pot pie tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment