Pages

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

An Example to Follow

In my Sunday School class of one,
we recently began trying to be more specific and intentional in our daily Bible reading.
One popular method (I was introduced to it by some of my nieces and nephews)
is the SPECK method.

My student and I look for:

Sins to Avoid
Promises to Claim
Examples to Follow
Commands to Keep
Knowledge of God

I have been reading through the Major Prophets.
It has been a great comfort to me this time through.
As sin swirls around in the world,
as I (in sin) want to "fix" things on my own,
as I get frustrated with events beyond my control ...
God has been reminding me to leave things to Him.

I have seen the prophets as the example to follow.
They gave God's Word - often with no response from the listener - 
and they then had to leave the rest with God.
They were asked to do hard things - 
endure hunger, imprisonment in the worst of situations,
running for their life, walking naked as an example ...
They did the hard things because they were asked by God.
How often I complain when asked to do the smallest things for Him.

I have gained knowledge learned to appreciate the judgment, righteousness, and holiness of God.
It seemed like the wicked prevailed, but God's judgment did come - in His time.
And there was always the reminder - I, God, am judging so that all men will know that I am God.

Have you read something that has been an encouragement to you?
Would you share it?

No comments:

Post a Comment