Pages

Monday, September 23, 2019

Cookin' Up Some Cajun

Tonight's Dinner ...
Cajun Succotash over Brown Rice

A little tribute to the south, I guess.
One of the few ways that I find okra palatable.
I probably just don't know how to cook it,
so don't disown me if you love it.


Not a hard recipe,
and the only thing that takes time is the brown rice.
It is also VERY filling which is great when trying to cut calories a bit
or stretch the food budget.



Cajun Succotash over Brown Rice

2 cups brown rice (or whatever rice you like)
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans red beans (I used kidney because it is what I had)
1 (16 oz) pkg frozen cut okra
2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
2 cups corn kernels (frozen, fresh, or canned)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning


Cook rice per package directions
Combine remaining ingredients in a Dutch oven.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Serve succotash over rice.

I think it needs more cajun seasoning and some salt as well.
Some members of the family also like to sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment