Pages

Monday, July 31, 2017

A S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G Recipe

I have been trying to bring beans back into the recipe picture again.
Since trying to clean up our eating with less packaged foods,
hubby has really started to not mind that meat doesn't always appear at a meal.

Last week, we had a yummy quinoa salad (I leave out onions and add some feta and pepperoni)
 that suited us for 3 days of lunches.
We had a split pea lettuce wraps that fed us for 2 days and had good Asian flavor.

Tonight, we did enjoy meat, but stretched it with beans.
Why not try this simple burrito soon?

Cheesy Beef and Bean Burrito

1 lb ground meat (I used turkey)
1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
optional - cooked rice (I left this out)
6 TBSP sour cream
6 oz shredded cheese
6 TBSP salsa
6 wraps

I browned the meat and then put it and the beans in my mixer to "squish" the beans.
If you wanted to further S-T-R-E-T-C-H the meal, you could add cooked rice here too.
Then I returned the combo to the browning pan and warmed with the spices.

Prepare each burrito with 1/6 of filling, 1 TBSP of sour cream,
1/4 c of shredded cheese, and 1 TBSP of salsa.

These were a pleasant summer meal with minimal heat to the house
and they were not overly hot because they were not baked.
I also liked that they were not super SLOPPY.

I am looking for "cool" meals since we are trying not to use our a/c much until it is replaced.
The drip pan gave way last week and our a/c man is back logged right now.
Using the a/c involves a lot of towels in and around the coils :)
The Lord has given a break in the oppressive heat and some days of overcast.
Actually made it through today with no a/c!


No comments:

Post a Comment