Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Budget Shopping

I am certainly no pro at saving money, but I have read a number of books and subscribed to a number of deal seeking web sites in the effort to be a better home economist.  Our local site (put out by a Christian associated with the college here) is http://www.thedealscoop.com/ .  The more comprehensive nationwide site is http://www.moneysavingmom.com/ .  Many times in the past three years, hubby and I have remarked that if I had known during our 4 years in Washington what I know now, it is possible that he would not have had to work at all while going to school.  There are so many games to play and ways to save money. I used to be embarrased to use coupons!  Imagine that!

This year, I have tried to do much of my Christmas shopping throughout the year using coupons, clearance racks, and free credits from online sites.  I have a growing extended family and this experiment is allowing me to acknowledge each one without breaking the bank ... and hopefully allows me to still have some funds to send them a box at Valentine's Day (that's something fun that is unique to this aunt).  One King's Lane is one such site offering gifts for the home... they are currently giving a $15 free credit when you sign up.  While this is not the best deal I have found (because the credit cannot apply to shipping - you still have to pay $4.95 shipping), it is profitable when you do alot of shopping online any way because you live in "the sticks!"  Plum District is giving $5 to 5 of my friends at this link .  I recently had a $10 credit with Plum District and when I didn't use it as promptly as they thought that I should, they ADDED $5 to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment