Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint Icing

While I can't attest to these cookies myself.  Both hubby and the Hebrew class seemed to enjoy them.  Don't get me wrong ... I wanted to try them, but I am a chocoholic who abstains from chocolate because I can't stop once I start (kind an "acceptable" addiction that I don't want to accept).  I did not use the frosting recipe suggested, but rather used some canned peppermint icing (forgive me).  You could add peppermint extract to the given recipe to achieve similar results.

Frosted Chocolate Delights

1/2 c shortening (I used butter)
1 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c chopped walnuts (I used choc. chips since I was using peppermint icing)

FROSTING:
9 TBSP butter, softened
4 1/2 c confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
6-8 TBSP milk

Cream shortening and brown sugar.  Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla.  Beat in chocolate.  Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  Gradually add to the creamed mixture.  Stir in nuts (or choc. chips)

Drop by TBSP 2 in apart on ungreased sheets.  Bake at 350* for 11-13 min. or until firm.

For frosting ... cream butter and sugar.  Beat in vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.  Frost cooled cookies.

* * * * * * * * *

I also made some homemade peanut butter cups. 
I no longer eat these ... but I know that they are DELICIOUS!




No comments:

Post a Comment