Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Quaint and Charming Cookbook

I am not cooking tonight, because a good friend of ours is introducing us to a BBQ restaurant that our town is known for.  This includes the "best sweet tea" in the area and red BBQ slaw.  I am really looking forward to it.

Yesterday, I was not planning to cook either.  We were going to be distributing tracts at the fair grounds and were going to enjoy a bag lunch.  However, hubby wasn't feeling well, so some friends filled in.  That left a Sunday dinner unprepared.  My pastor's wife had mentioned that she was having Potato Soup and on the way home from church, I thought, I could throw together some Potato Soup.  I quickly went to this quaint, little cookbook, Just a Matter of Thyme which my Sister-in-law gave me as a shower gift 9 years ago.  It is a sweet book because of the pictures (drawings) and the handwriting-like font.  While not a "Taste of Home", every-recipe-is-a-winner book ... it does have some classics like this quick and easy one that saved the day yesterday ...

Stuffed Spud Soup

2 lbs frozen hash browns, thawed
1/2 c butter
1/2 c chopped green onion (I used white onion)
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
salt and pepper
3-4 c half 'n half or milk
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
bacon bits, parsley flakes, chopped chives, and/or sour cream for top

Saute onion in butter. 
Add soup, half 'n half, and thawed potatoes
(mine were frozen - still works but needs to warm a little longer). 
Stir in cheese and heat gently. 
Garnish and serve.
Serves 8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment