Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Negative Example

I have often thought that I learn best by negative examples.  Perhaps you have done it too.  You see an outcome, an action, or an activity that you do not like and you make a concerted effort to avoid it in your life.  Perhaps it was in your marriage, in your parenting style, in the way that you serve.  The negative example and result sometimes speaks far louder than the positive example.

In studying Genesis 16, I see in Sarah a negative example.  I can sympathize and empathize with Sarah.  She had a promise, but was not seeing the results.  She had already waited 10 years for her heart's desire and was losing hope.  In her desperation, she made a poor choice.  She chose to give her servant to her husband.  Now Abraham did not have to listen, but I can imagine that he may have been tired of seeing his wife's sorrow, he may have been losing faith as well, perhaps he just wanted to "just fix things."  In the end, her poor decision only compounded the problem.

How about you and me? 
Do I whine and complain to get my way? 
Do I wait for God to give me the desires of my heart? 
Do I encourage our husbands, friends, family to do wrong so that I can "fix" things? 

***********

It is another drippy day here. 
There is a promise of a break tomorrow. 
All of the rain reminds me of this verse.  

Proverbs 27:15 
A continual dropping in a very rainy day
and a contentious woman are alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment