Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Grandparent Room

I call this sweet little guestroom "The Grandparent Room."
It has the fingerprints of our grandparents throughout.


The pastel blue and green nursery ... when we bought the trailer.

 
 The new little guestroom - especially for two little girls who visit often.
One has to sleep on an exercise mat on the floor :)

The headboard and bookshelf were made in cherry by my maternal grandfather.
He also made a matching cedar chest (with cedar from my childhood home),
a large cradle, and a small hanging cabinet.

The little doll on the bed was made by my paternal grandmother
out of an heirloom pillowcase.

The dressers were a contribution from hubby's maternal grandmother.
They are well constructed and I hope to refinish them one day.

I have never met my hubby's grandparents,
but I value the special memories and gifts from my grandparents.
It is a blessing to see their special gifts in use and to have learned from them.
They are each special and unique ...
a dairy farmer and school bus driver,
a farm wife and teacher,
a master craftsman of wood,
and a beautician and summer park coordinator.

And "the nook" in the master bedroom is coming along.


In the original trailer, the garden tub sat in this corner.
I imagine the tub cracked or broke in some way and the cost to repair or replace was prohibitive.
It then became a study with built in desk and bookshelves.
This was a great idea, but the unfinished wood was not much to look at.

 

Remember the mess on the walls after removing the desk and shelves.
This actually looks good compared to the holes and torn wall paper board that was left at first.
Joint compound and sealant primer are my friends!


The nook today.
Hubby did a great job hanging the paintable wallpaper.
We were both very nervous about this job - 
we had never hung paper (except borders);
and we had visions of certain disaster in our minds.
It was time consuming and messy,
but we are more than pleased with the results.
In person, you can still see the line where the garden tub used to be,
and a couple of "scars" from the desk,
but it was the best option for sure!



No comments:

Post a Comment