Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Killing Bugs or Seasoning Their Food

I was tickled this morning as hubby left for work.
As I inspected my garden for squash bug eggs and baby squash bugs,
I told him that I thought that my natural bug spray had diminished the number of babies and eggs.
I told him that I planned to spray again on Wednesday.

He commented, "Well, either your killing them, or you are seasoning their food!"

The bug spray is a mix of onion juice, garlic juice, cayenne, soap, oil, and baking soda.

It is a little smelly to make, but I like that it is natural and I hope to save my many pumpkins and squash this year.  It also seemed to work on the bugs on my green beans.

Only time will tell if it is a true success, but the first attempt looked promising.

Curious about the recipe?

I found it here.

Ingredients

4 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp vegetable oil 
1 Tsp soap (such as Dr. Bronner’s)
1 to 2 tbs garlic juice 
 To make juice: 1 medium bulb (not clove) of garlic blended with 1 to 2 cups of water. Let sit a minimum of 15 minutes and strain.
1 medium onion, made into a juice concentrate as above.
1 Tbs dried cayenne pepper.

Instructions
Add all ingredients together in a bottle with a screw top and shake well to mix.
Add concentrate to a gallon of water and spray liberally. 
Repeat as often as needed to drive off or kill the squash bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment