Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Assurance

As a church pianist, I have been to many funerals.
Some were as a church friend who wanted to help the family with music.
Some were as a pianist helping the pastor minister to a family in the community.
Some were for the extended family of friends.
There is such joy when the pastor and family know that the deceased was assured of his salvation in eternity.
There is such an awkwardness when that assurance is not there
and there is a sadness knowing that the separation may be eternal.

Until August, I had never been at the bedside of death.
Today, I once again held the hand of a woman about to see Jesus.
On this Thankful Thursday, I am thankful that I could talk about heaven,
I could talk about seeing Jesus,
I could talk about being together again one day.
I am thankful that I could sing songs of trust and faith and peace.
I knew that my friend would leave her pain behind and instantly see our Savior very soon.

I am thankful that there is assurance in the true gospel.
There is no "might," there is no "if I'm good enough,"
there is no "maybe."
There is only ASSURANCE.

Romans 10:9-10

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

I am also thankful that this world with all its struggles is not all we have.
I am thankful for a home in heaven that will far exceed anything that I could possess on earth.
I am thankful for friends who can become family in situations where family is absent.

God is good all the time.
All the time, God is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment